This Blog is to enrich readers'knowledge on Online Ads.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Intrusive ads

More and more companies are getting aggressive in placing their ads in different places. This is because these ads are everywhere, people have started to avoid them. The companies have in turn become even more aggressive in their advertising techniques, which results in people who hate ads to run farther away. What the ad companies need to realize is that showing ads everywhere does not work, even if those ads are creative. Why? Because most ads are intrusive and waste people's time. Non-intrusive ads are better at marketing a product or a service.

I run into intrusive ads all the time. A good example of an intrusive ad is on Yahoo Games. Whenever I go into any game room, I am taken to a full-page advertisement where I have to click a “Continue” link to proceed to the actual game page. That is an intrusive form of advertising, disrupting my normal browsing experience where I am forced to see an ad before I am allowed to play any game.

An intrusive ad takes time away, even when I am agreeing to play a free game. These intrusive ads also makes me go through extra steps before I am able to get to the things I want. Therefore, an intrusive ad is very annoying and not good in my opinion.

While advertising is getting more creative, it is also somehow getting more intrusive. Displaying creative advertising that is not intrusive helps build a reputable brand in the long run. Advertisements are going to be around for a while, so why not make them simple, easy and non-intrusive for the customer? If you do not push your product in ways that disrupts the lives or habits of customers, you are respecting your customer.

Put your ads in places where the only reaction a customer may have is “Hmmm, that is cool“, instead of a reaction that shows frustration of any sort Respect others and find out what is important to them and what kind of actions could help and hurt them. People will respect you for that by listening to what you have to say.

So my friends, what is your opinion on intrusive ads?
You are welcome to share your experience with us by leaving a valuable comment.
Thank you.

1 comment:

 
© Pros and Cons of Online Advertising, All Right Reserved
Best Supported Web Browser, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari
Last updated: 21st Feb 2009, GMT 17:15
Further queries, contact sugarbunn@gmail.com